Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Scan Update

Well, as of yesterday, I’m back in chemo. I got scanned on 10/24 and got results yesterday. My organs are great, which is a huge relief. However, some of the spots in my lumbar/sacrum area have grown a little. So my oncologist wants to be aggressive so the spots don’t grow more or spread to any of my organs.  Yesterday, I started on Abraxane, which is in the Taxol family (the chemo that I was on forever and ever LOL) and Xgeva to strengthen my bones. The Abraxane is a thirty minute intravenous treatment that goes in through my port every three weeks. The Xgeva will be given through a shot in my arm once a month.  The doctor has also ordered a Neulasta shot once a month to keep my white blood cell count up. I’ve never had bad counts, but he doesn’t want me to start having them now.

To be totally honest, I’m disappointed. I’m so thankful for healthy organs and the news could have been so much worse. But I’m just now at the point to where I’m comfortable without my wig and my eyelashes have been coming in so nicely. The nurses in the infusion room told me that my hair may just thin a little bit, but I’m not getting my hopes up about that. I lost my hair with the first round of chemo drugs, and stayed hairless during the Taxol treatments. So I wouldn’t be surprised if I lost it all again. There are benefits to losing my hair though: no shaving under my arms, no shaving my legs, and no Nairing my face – yes you get lots of facial hair when you go through menopause haha! I’d rather be bald and have my tumors shrinking than to be full of cancer with long beautiful hair. There is more to life than a head full of hair and long lashes. :o)

So I’m going to keep working, keep exercising, and keep pushing. That has worked for me for the past three years, so I’m not stopping now! My medical leave for the hip replacement ends tomorrow so the routine at my job will be great therapy. I have a lot to be thankful for at my job. The benefits have paid for all of these crazy chemo drugs and I make good money. If I didn’t have a job with great benefits, I would really struggle paying for my treatment. The last thing I want is to be a financial burden to my husband. I know he would be glad to help me but holding on to a little of my independence is important. I also work on a great team with a fabulous boss. My co-workers are also my friends and they have been so understanding about me working from home on chemo days. My boss is super flexible and kind about my appointments and work load. A lot of people can’t say that. I remember sitting in treatment one day last year, and a patient was on her cell phone fighting with her insurance company about coverage.  I’m so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment