Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You Look Great!

I’ve read articles about what NOT to say to cancer patients. Each article I’ve read always has this phrase in the “what NOT to say” column: “You don’t even look sick, you look great!”  Maybe there is something about the tone. Maybe if someone says it in a negative or hateful way, then that would definitely be inappropriate. But I’m just going to be totally honest here. I LOVE hearing it when someone tells me I look great or that I look healthy. If that’s how you really feel when you see me, I want to hear it and you can tell me a hundred times LOL. I promise will love it just as much after the hundredth time as I did the first time you said it. :o)

Speaking of what NOT to say, here is my list of phrases:
-You look pale
-You look too thin
-Chemo is as bad as the cancer
-I drank a special tea and now I’m cancer free
-Cancer is a money maker and “they” are hiding the cure from us!
-Why are you still using a cane?
-You have the best kind of cancer
-At least you don’t have [insert any other kind of disease or ailment here]
-You’re doing better than I am!
-I’ve had the same kind of chemo you’re taking and it didn’t work
-Did the doctor say how long you had to live?
-I hate [insert doctor’s name, hospital name here]; they let my [insert speaker’s family member/friend name here] die
I guess it just depends on the person and the kind of personality they have. Some people don’t want to hear any of it, and others need a lot of encouragement. What helps me the most is when people tell me they are praying for me. And again, I like looking good LOL.  Some of the people I’m in treatment with look really pitiful. I’m not saying I look like a model for good health, but at least I’m up and moving around, with some energy. I’m very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment